Saturday, November 19, 2005

1801 The Old School

Occasionally I drop in on the Davey family blog. They are Welsh evangelists in France. The adults are attending a special language school for foreigners, but their kids, Catrin and Gwilym, just attend a regular French school. Alan comments about this recently:

"The school culture is quite different here from in Britain. It is much more like school when I was a kid. For example teachers here do use the "You are no good and you'll never get anywhere" method of encouragement, children are hit by the teachers and the kids are encouraged to sort out their own problems of bullying etc."

And then he pauses to reflect that maybe things weren't so great in the good old days the way he remembered them.

1 comment:

Feed Fido said...

In the 70s- my grade school principal (Sister) and another teacher (Sister too) told me my parents knew I was garbage or something like that. My parents weren't particularly nice, but I knew they were too disinterested to have ever spoke to them and I told them so.