Wednesday, January 11, 2006

2016 Don't walk and talk on your cell phone

The Illinois Alumni magazine arrived yesterday, and when I opened it I saw a small article that the family of a student killed when hit by a bus has sued the Champaign-Urbana Mass Transit District. But when I read a little further I just shook my head. It's not that I don't sympathize with her parents. . . but the 18 year old was talking on her cell phone crossing the street at Sixth and Chalmers. I used to work and live in that area and I suppose they could have created curb cuts in the last 40 years, but I'm surprised a bus can even navigate that area. We always, always had to use all five senses to avoid the bicyclists and mopeds. But what phone call is so critical that you need to talk while walking--anywhere, let alone in the street shared with cars, bikes and buses. Yet how often have we seen people doing just that--not paying attention to other pedestrians, or uneveness in the pavement, or not watching for bikers, and certainly not paying attention to cars as they cross the street.

The article says the university has launched an investigation into traffic and pedestrian safety and is improving safety programs that are already in place. A stop sign has been added and speed limits lowered. Students held a candlelight vigil and cried.

But has anyone instructed the students in how to use cell phones and be safe?


No comments: