Monday, January 30, 2006

2094 Are dentists as sensitive as doctors?

Because today he's going to "get a piece of my mind," and I don't have a lot to spare. I had a terrible pain in a tooth about 2 weeks before Christmas. X-ray, a one minute check up, big tab. Nothing was found, and I was sent home, with a "no problem that we can see." But all was not well. On Christmas Eve during dinner the tooth broke. I wasn't munching a crisp veggie or ice, I was eating dressing. The next week (3 day holiday) I go in and the filling, which was still doing its job and had been there over 50 years, was removed and replaced, but half the tooth was gone. It was covered with something.

Of course, then we're in to a new year, another 3 day holiday and a new deductible for 2006. Then it is back for the temporary crown, only the novacaine didn't seem to do the job, so I got two shots. This past week the gum has festered where I got the shots, I can't chew on either side, so I've bitten my cheek, and it looks like the gum line has really pulled away from the tooth root. I have to warm water before I can drink it. I can't even sleep on that side of my face. Today I'm supposed to get a permanent crown, and before I let him near me, I think we'll need to have a little talk.

Doctors don't like to be told they've messed up, or that you aren't getting any better under their care. Let's hope dentists don't have the same god complex.

Update: The answer is YES. And he is to blame for none of my problems, and he doesn't like "to be lectured." In fact, he started in on "dialog," and I told him I didn't want a dialog, I just wanted him to listen to me. He refused and kept right on talking so I'm in the market for a new dentist. I don't like to drive too far, so if you have suggestions for Upper Arlington or Dublin, Ohio, I'm open.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ouch! I hope they do a good, reliable and painless job this time... which reminds me of my next dentist appointment scheduled soon . Good luck! Thanks for visiting, I just saw you at Wendy's too!

Anonymous said...

This post made the little hairs on my back stand on end! Dental pain is the worst! Hope you're feeling better.

BTW, Wendy directed me here.

:-)3T

Anvilcloud said...

I don't suppose that any of us like to be told, but I hope the dentist accepts it gracefully.

Norma said...

Matthew, I would certainly give the same advice (since we librarians thrive on that), however, it is the FINDING a new doctor, dentist, etc. that is the problem. You of course know the saying, "the devil you know is better than the devil you don't know?" Anyone in the UA/Dublin area is welcome to make recommendations.

Anonymous said...

Doctors/Dentist concerned with your better health. You need to tell them that the one minute examination is not acceptable and that the pain is not accetable.
Also don't be afraid to try pain there are quite a few new non-sedating opiate like drugs used as replacements function during the day.