Friday, November 17, 2017

Friday family photo--life expectancy and risk

But it's cold outside.
A recent article in Circulation by researchers at Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health and Brigham and Women’s Hospital "found that more moderate to vigorous intensity physical activity -such as brisk walking - was associated with roughly a 60 percent to 70 percent lower risk of death at the end of the study among the most active women, compared to the least active."  Suggested even once a week could make a difference.  So I dug out my winter coat and took a one mile walk in the neighborhood.

I'm not good at math. I was born in 1939 and female life expectancy was 65.4. Then came vaccines and antibiotics. Now I'm 78 and life expectancy for someone my age is about 88-89 (the age at which my parents died). So if I'm reducing the risk of early death by walking where do I start (or end)?

You can tell this photo was taken in my husband's office, all the pencils are lined up. You can't even see the top of the desk in my office.

http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/early/2017/10/31/CIRCULATIONAHA.117.031300

No comments: