Sunday, January 10, 2021

Still sorting, packing and reshelving

Does your husband (or you) save screws, nails, tacks, and pieces of unidentified plumbing parts, TV wires, and pencils too small to use? We are rearranging the basement storage. Life was easier I think when we lived in a house for 34 years that had no basement and no attic. Now we've had both for the last 19 years, and I swear these mysterious oddies and endies in my husband's tool area just grow! I have one box that is just light bulbs. extra extension cords and surge protectors, and emergency candles. Another box of containers that just hold things together like putty, glue, calking, bonding, etc.

I had planned to buy a metal open shelving unit to store what I didn't throw out, but after pricing them (over $50), the wood bookshelf from our old house that's a little awkward began to look pretty good. Also none of us could remember how we got it in the house and down the stairs in 2002. So we solved the moving problem by just putting it back.

One of the collectors of nuts, bolts, nails, screws of 4 styles and 16 different lengths appears to be an insert from an old desk—maybe walnut or maple. I asked Bob if it was from his grandfather's desk (he died in 1955) which we had when we were married in 1960, or his grandparents' secretary they'd purchased when they got married in 1906. But he couldn't remember. So just in case it's an antique, I moved it to the laundry room where it can accumulate more unidentifiable things.

Am I alone?

No comments: