Saturday, August 01, 2009

Cottage cheese

No, I'm not going to write about women my age wearing shorts. I mean the edible kind. My daughter left a carton of cottage cheese here--no room in the cooler. So I opened it the other day; then my eye fell on the list of ingredients--looked like a high school chemistry lab experiment.
    cultured non fat milk
    nonfat milk
    cream
    salt
    whey
    food starch (corn)
    guar gum
    sorbic acid (to prevent mold)
    citric acid
    carrageehan
    natural and artificial flavor
    locust bean gum
    tetrasodium pyrophosphate
    monopotassium phosphate
    enzymes

    but it is
    Gluten free!
When I was a child, a blob of cottage cheese with a piece of fruit was about the only salad that appeared on our table. And I'd watched my grandmother make it, although by that time I don't think they had a cow. When they did there was always a recipe around to use up the cream. It was when I met my mother-in-law that I learned what a tossed salad with lots of veggies, olives and tomatoes was all about. But I want to get more calcium in my diet, and dairy products are certainly a good source, so today I bought Daisy brand 2% (milk) cottage cheese.
    cultured skim milk
    cream
    salt
    Vitamin A palmate
Which brand would you want to put in your waiting tummy to strengthen your bones?

No comments: