Tuesday, July 25, 2017

There are no goats in heaven

In Matthew 25:31-46, Jesus explained who will be in heaven, who enters the kingdom, who gets the inheritance; no goats, only sheep the shepherd recognizes. How will the shepherd know the sheep? It's not about who voted for a poverty program or closed down the bad prisons, or who marched for open borders while keeping locks on their homes and passwords on their computers. It's not even about mega churches and fabulous musicians to bring in the crowds. In fact, it's a huge challenge because he demands personal responsibility for changing our own lives, not society. These are the opportunities to meet Jesus face to face. "For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’"

Again, help where you can; be compassionate and kind. Maybe that's volunteering at the food pantry, but it could be inviting the new widow for dinner. It could be not coddling your adult children so they can learn to be sheep also. It could be picking up someone else's trash. You will definitely NOT change the world or even transform a life, but it will make you a better person because you've met Jesus.

No comments: