Saturday, November 03, 2018

Microfiber pollution

I was reading a very interesting article in the Summer 2018 National Parks magazine about microfibers and the plastic pollution in our oceans, rivers and lakes.  A few years ago those tiny particles in toothpaste, hand wash and other personal care products were outlawed, however, synthetic clothing when washed also releases tiny fibers that make it past all the filters and they end up in the water ways. 97% of the microplastics found in a national park study were microfibers most from synthetic clothing, but also fishing nets, carpets, wet wipes and cigarette butts. So even if we think we’re reducing our plastic footprint by consciously not buying food items stored in plastic bottles, each time we buy/wash a polyester blouse, sweater or coat, we’re putting that waste into the waterways.  I agree it’s a big problem. BUT.  This comment at the end of an article  https://storyofstuff.org/blog/microfibers-are-microplastics-1/ with all the inflammatory shoulds and musts is not the way to go or win people over.

“It is crystal clear that the earth needs to recover and that is only possible with mass industry green reconversion. So plastic and all fossil fuels and derived byproducts must stay in the ground as we turn to clean natural renewable energies and go back to old comfy healthy cotton, wool, flax, silk, and intro hemp which makes a great textile as well. All governments need to stop and ban the plastic and fossil fuel production and use and ban them from imports as well. They will find the financial solutions to help small biz reconvert while big ones must pay the enourmous damage they have caused by reinvesting in a full on green repurpose and conversion. “ (Paula)

Cha-Ching. More taxes. More wealth transfer.  More government interference in our lives.  I’d like to see what’s in her closet.

Every item of clothing I’m wearing from my underwear and socks to the colorful scarf while I write this blog is made of synthetic material, but because I keep my clothes forever, and older clothing releases more fiber than newer when washed, I’m doubled damned!

I’ve done my little part to ride my life of plastic.  When I discovered that chewing gum was made out of plastic, I stopped that habit of 70+ years.  I thought they were still using tree sap.

Here’s a blog to help you lighten the plastic damage you’re personally doing to the waterways. https://myplasticfreelife.com/plasticfreeguide/

No comments: