Advice from the Tufts Health and Nutrition Letter (Aug. 22)
I think these are probably correct--I've known a long time that plant burgers are processed food, and that lunch meat wrapped in anything contains a lot of sodium, and that granola bars are really candy bars, but they are all on our senior living company's recommended diet.
PLANT-BASED BURGERS
Plant-based burgers that look and taste like meat are all the rage. But the truth is these "meat" products are highly-processed foods that bear resemblance to the plant foods from which they come. [These are served in hospitals and retirement and nursing homes and schools.]
TURKEY IN A SPINACH WRAP
Contrary to what you’ve read, turkey in a spinach wrap is not a wise choice. Deli turkey is sky-high in sodium and the wrap typically contains refined grains and only trace amounts of spinach.
GRANOLA BARS
Granola bars seem healthy, but many are just crunchy delivery mechanisms for sugar. Chocolate and other coatings can easily bring the total to 20 grams per bar – the same as a Snicker’s Bar!
BUT, I really wish I could find out what Tufts advised about Covid and what money it took or whose careers were ruined 5 years ago. I haven't been able to dig it out.
No comments:
Post a Comment