Friday, June 11, 2004

357 Miscellaneous musings

A national holiday--we have the Farewell to President Reagan on--playing the Navy hymn (Melita) as the casket goes by "Glad hymns of praise from land and sea" or "On Christ the solid rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand" as we sing in church. President or pauper, that is all we have in the end.

Trying to install drapery rods today. I think we're too old for this. Two ladders, two people.

I switched printers here again. The HP LaserJet 4L has come home and the HP 722C will go to the Lakehouse. Crawling around under the desk looking for cords to disconnect from surge protector, and then lying on the floor half in the bathroom to disconnect and reconnect from the CPU. Like trying to untangle spaghetti. I KNOW I'm too old for this.

More rain today. My artificial lilies and pansies are holding up well. Haven't faded and don't droop.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Norma, I share you excitement over finding Josephine Lovell's "Eight Little Indians". The hardback copy, I found and purchased from an antique dealer in Cedarburg, WI. Six weeks later, I found 7 or the original eight 'chapters' each chapter dealing with a different adolescent of a different Native American tribe or nation.
A retired American Literature teacher, I too counted "Eight Little Indians" among my TOP 10 children's books of all time.
Sorry, I have no info on the illustrator Roger Vernam, not the author of the hardback, Josephine Lovell. I do remember wondering which came first the chicken: the hardcopy; or the egg: those indiv-idual 10-page brochures?
I promise to contact you immediately upon procuring more detail on either Vernam or Lovell.
Finally, do you have any idea of the value of the hardcopy? What about 7 or the 8 individual copies?
By the way, have you ever heard of the Lakotan Poet by the name of Mark Turcotte? A major voice, as impressive as it is poignant. Until recently, Mark T. has spent the major part of the summer months writing and speaking in Door County, WI. One of his smaller volumes "The Feathered Hand" speaks of the Ojibwa Souix taking offense of belittling the native American with the childish song/poem "Ten Little Indians". Mark T. likened its effect and impact to the African American's disdain for eenie-meenie-miny-mo ... catch a 'N-word' by the toe."
After some reflection on my part, I concurred whole-heartedly with Mark. How insensitive were parts of our youth in west central Illinois. Sincerely, DKfromDC