Friday, July 07, 2006

2677 What does it mean to be 22 today?

Elise has just graduated from Hofstra and with her mom is staying in our Lakeside cottage this coming week with our cat while we fly off to Helsinki to see Riitta and Martti. Her mom will be teaching some art classes and she'll be assisting. She was pretty tired, having driven through from NY, and we sat on the porch chatting Thursday morning before my husband took her sailing. She was eating cold nachos and sour cream for breakfast. She laughed, and said, "I'm just being 22."

It reminded me that I really don't know very many young--really young--adult women, except through the internet. Mainly through Thursday Thirteen. For all I know, cold nachos for breakfast is the cold pizza of the 80s (which my kids thought was great). It surprises me to come across women bloggers 25 or 26 talking about their school age children. It wouldn't have surprised me at all when I was 25 (one of my close friends from high school is a great-grandmother), but these days, adolescence seems to stretch into the early 30s. When I meet women directly with babies and toddlers, they seem to be late 30s or early 40s.

When I was 22, I was a working, going-to-grad-school mom. I've never felt as old or tired as I did then. I don't regret any of it, but don't remember that translating Russian medical journals in a tiny apartment with a cranky baby was a lot of fun. Still, I distinctly remember that when I was a child, my only goal was to become an adult and be independent. Mission accomplished.

2 comments:

see-through faith said...

read that you'll be in Hki ... I've emailed you in case you'd like to visit Turku (or come up to Jamsa)

Lorna

a walking 40 buddy.

Renee Nefe said...

It does seem that adolescence is stretching further and further.

When my mom was 22 she already had two kids. When I was 22, I was living at home and had no thoughts of kids or even marriage.

However, when I was working on my family tree...I was shocked to find that most of my ancestors did not get married and have their families until they were all in their 20s. I was expecting at least some 16y/o brides.

Cold nachos sound grody!