Thursday, June 05, 2008

Buy real food

It's still a good deal. Today I had to stop at the grocery store, and you know how it goes--you buy a bit more than you thought. I just panic if I'm out of apples. I eat an apple every day. I spent $10.93. Large green bell pepper; 1 quart of milk; 6 Braeburn apples; 3 medium size bananas; 8 oz. cheese; large head of broccoli. Is it higher than last year? Oh, yes! But it's cheaper than a large bag of potato chips, a 6 pack of soft drinks, and a sack of cookies or do-nuts.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bingo. The key to eating healthy:

Eat real food, not too much, mostly vegetables.

They say people are getting fat because they can't afford proper nutrition. This is nonsense. People are getting fat because of the proliferation of the fast food culture. Food is cheaper here than anywhere else in the world. Unfortunately, our marketing of junk food is also the best in the world.

Anonymous said...

Yes, those nasty marketers forcing us to buy bad stuff. It's their fault. I'm so weak from drinking beer and stuffing my face with spicy chicken wings, I can hardly hit the remote button and turn that off that commercial during the football games.

Anonymous said...

Not sure if you've seen it but there was a study a few months ago where researchers served kids identical food samples but some had the McDonald's logo on them and some didn't. The kids said that the food with the McDonald's logo tasted better every time.

Anonymous said...

I have started buying powdered milk. I remember it from when I was a kid and it was terrible.

I tried it again a few weeks ago and it was pretty good. I had a recepie that called for two tablespoons of it, well you can't buy two tablespoons, you can't even buy a one quart packet, so I splurged and got 10 quarts for $7.99.
Pretty good these days, I like my milk nice and cold and reconstituted powdered milk is not too bad and at 80 cents per quart it is much cheaper than fresh milk.

The best part is that it is easier to carry up stairs.