Monday, August 30, 2010

Bella Stuffed Banana Peppers

The September/October 2010 issue of Lake Erie Living is out with an article about the Lakeside/Marblehead Fall Festival (p.50) on October 9, and a recipe for stuffed banana peppers. I don't think I'd ever used many banana peppers until my son began growing them in his garden, and he's so successful, I decided I needed a recipe, and this one looks pretty simple.

Bella Stuffed Banana Peppers

(Serves 6)
8 to 10 large locally grown (from Phil's garden for me) sweet banana peppers, tops removed and seeds scooped out
1 pound mild or hot Italian sausage, sauteed and drained
1/2 cup freshly shredded provolone cheese
1/2 cup freshly grated pecorino Romano cheese (plus extra for top of casserole) [salty Italian cheese, suitable primarily for grating, made from sheep milk--I had to look it up]
2 or 3 eggs
1/2 cup seasoned Italian bread crumbs
2 cups homemade tomato sauce (he makes that too)
1/4 cup olive oil

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Mix sausage, provolone, pecorino Romano, eggs and bread crumbs together in a bowl (mixture should be moist). Stuff into cavity of banana peppers. Lay peppers flat in a large 13" x 9" casserole dish. Pour tomato sauce over peppers. Drizzle with the olive oil and grate a generous amount of pecorino Romano on top. Cover with foil and bake about 1 hour, until peppers are soft. Serve with a green salad and good crusty bread (he makes that, too) to soak up the sauce.

This recipe is on p. 27, along with "Grilled summer peaches with pound cake." I've never grilled pound cake, but sounds good, too!

1 comment:

Three Score and Ten or more said...

Bananna peppers seem to be the only product of my garden (except cucumbers). I've been cutting up bananna peppers and cucumbers and soaking them in oil and vinager till the family is really tired of them (they are good, but every day?). You have given me a new project. Thank you.