Friday, August 27, 2010

Civil War Week--another great success

Monday the 7th Civil War Week at Lakeside set a new record--the Green Room in the Fountain Inn was packed with 126 and the day's programs recorded a record of 530 in attendance. Bob Bridges of Los Angeles, a screenwriter who has led battleground tours at Manassass, Antietam, Gettysburg, Richmond, Petersburg, and Appomattox, was terrific for the three presentations I heard Monday through Wednesday. He had us on the edge of our seats as Booth carried out his terrible deed at the theater in April 1865, climaxed at noon by the blasting at the quarry.

On Thursday I heard two wonderful book reviews/dramatic readings, the first from "Red Badge of Courage" by Professor of English Emeritus (Kenyon) Perry Lentz. I don't recall ever having an English prof that riveting! Now I'll have to reread the book. Also on Thursday was Mel Maurer's review of "The Widow of the South." This would be an excellent book for any book club looking for selections for next year. I'll certainly read it and suggest it to my group.
Book Review - The Widow of the South by Robert Hicks

Today I'll go back for Mel Maurer's account of the Battle of Franklin, which ended the South's chances for victory, and was also the setting for the Widow book by Robert Hicks.

The Hoover programming this week has been great too. Saturday evening we enjoyed "Frank Sinatra" by Steve Lippia--not necessarily related to the Civil War, but still a wonderful choice for this older crowd gathered for a week of history. We thoroughly enjoyed the Lisa Biales Trio on Tuesday evening. I think it's one of the few Hoover programs where I didn't leave early. I found her voice just lovely and crystal clear, with violinist (fiddle) Doug Hamilton, and cellist Michael Ronstadt (nephew of Linda) who did things with the cello I'd never heard. Wednesday was Al Batt, humorist, who told low key funny stories and childhood memories, many of which we could relate to who grew up in the rural midwest--like Sunday afternoon drives in the family car. Thursday night was the Saxton's Cornet Band an ensemble that reorganized a Civil War era group in 1989.

On the way out of Hoover last night (about 2/3 is about all I can manage without falling asleep) I saw an elderly woman fall as she headed for the water fountain. I knelt beside her to see if I could help, but I couldn't get her up--she was speaking and said she needed to take her pill. She was about my size and weight and I was afraid we'd both fall if I tried to get her up, so I pulled a chair over (no one else was in the lobby, which is unusual). Finally, two other women came out, and together the three of us got her into the chair. She said her husband was in the audience, so I went back into the darkened area, and saw a man I knew was usually with his wife and went to him and asked if his wife was here. He said she'd gone out to get a drink, so I asked him to come with me. I'd found the right guy, first try, in the dark.
He went to get their car and the three of us helped her down the steps, put her in the car, and fastened her seat belt. They live at the retirement home right outside the Lakeside gates. She refused an offer to call the squad, since apparently this has happened before. My last words to her were to call her doctor about that medication that was supposed to be helping her balance.

Not a big deal as mishaps go, but Wednesday evening we again went to the Family Picnic at Perry Park, and joined 6 friends at a picnic table instead of sitting in the chairs we brought. I got bitten by something, and have welts all over my feet and legs that seem to be spreading. Driving me crazy with itching! I thought I would get through the summer with no bites. I guess cool weather brought them out.

No comments: