Friday, December 03, 2010

Christmas 2000--was it really 10 years ago?

My Dad was visiting us from Dec. 2-5 and then went on to visit my siblings. We called it the "grand tour." Although there was one hitch in the trip and Dad got sick one night at my sister's, I think his trip went pretty well. I bought some adjustments for the bathroom because his legs were weak from congestive heart failure. It was his first holiday without my mother who had died in January. They were married over 65 years. We really had a wonderful visit, and our daughter hosted the whole family for dinner at her house, all decorated for Christmas. We just had a smattering of the snow they got in Illinois which postponed his trip home by one day, in fact, we mostly had ice and wind.

When I retired in October 2000 I started going to exercise classes with my husband. Could barely do 1 lb. weights when I started, but was up to 5 lbs by December. That year I checked out an Ed Sullivan Christmas video from the library. Sort of fun--and seemed so innocent. Some was black and white and some color--"the really big shew." You may recall that we'd been through a rancorous election season and hanging chads, so was a pleasure to see something other than the election coverage.

On Sunday the 10th we attended a Victorian Christmas Open House in Mechanicsburg, Ohio at the Neelys who used to live in Upper Arlington and were members of our church. Their home had been written up in the Ohio Magazine. The house was gorgeous--they wanted a place to build memories with the grandchildren, and this was the perfect setting.

On December 16 we had a BIG choir Christmas dinner--$25/ticket. We took our daughter and son and their spouses, and it was a dressy event. They all looked so lovely--still have the photos, although not the daughter-in-law. Fabulous music at the Mill Run church which had just opened that year.

Then on the next Monday evening we went to a caroling/cookie party. I made my dozen cookies early in the week--a simple oatmeal bar with melted chocolate chips and pecans on top--and put them in the freezer. On Saturday the 23rd our daughter and son-in-law planned to take us to see the Nutcracker, but one of us--don't remember who--got sick, so we've still never seen it. On Sunday, Christmas Eve, we hosted dinner in the evening, opened presents and then all went to church together.

Now, the only way I know any of this happened is not because I have a terrific memory, but because I wrote someone a letter that year, and now I have the memories stored in my computer.

No comments: