Friday, December 03, 2010

Friday Family Photo--the Ballards move to Illinois

From the clothing and hair styles, I'm guessing this photo is late 1930s early 1940s. The youngest, Ada, far right, my grandmother's sister, died in 2009 at age 92. This is scanned from a photocopy, but is the best I can do.

Although I didn't write down the date I recorded my father's memories, I think from the note paper and my own handwriting, it was around 2000 after he had moved to the Lustron on First Street and I was pumping him for some family stories. Here's the story he was told about why his grandparents came to Ogle County, Illinois from Jefferson County, Tennessee a century before.

-------------

Notes about William Ballard family move to Illinois
From a conversion with Dad, ca. 2000
By Norma Bruce

Howard tells the story passed down to him about how the Ballards arrived in Illinois from Jefferson County, Tennessee, about 1906 (after Leta was born). William John Ballard had six children (Parlea and Molly had died) and couldn’t earn a living on the small acreage left to him by his mother, Rachel.

His plan was to start a new life in Texas, but when they got to the train station, there were no trains south until the next day. He knew the Rodeffers in Ogle County, Illinois, and there was a train going to Mt. Morris, so he changed his plans.

The family of eight arrived in Mt. Morris and went to the local hotel where they were told they needed a house. For a brief time he rented a small house on Main Street (His grand daughter Marian and family later lived there in the 1940s and 1950s).

The first winter in Illinois (according to son Orville who got a slightly different version) was very sad and blue because Granddad didn't have a job. He became a tenant on the Butterbaugh farm north of Mt. Morris on Mt. Morris Road where the other children (Alma, Orville, Ruby and Ada) were born. Alma died at about 6 weeks and I'm not positive about where she was born; she was the first family member buried in Plainview Cemetery. He farmed until 1923 on three different farms. Again, Orville's recollection was the the children attended Center School located near Trot Town, and the Silver Creek Church of the Brethren.

When he moved the family to Mt. Morris, Ballard worked for the township, worked at Kables as a fireman, and did other jobs to support his family. He also assisted other Tennesseans as they came north. He helped three young men come north, all of whom became sons-in-law. He helped son-in-law Joe, who had been his hired man when he was a farmer, set up as a farmer around 1915 with a team and wagon.
Here's the family with their maternal (Williford) cousins at a reunion, about 6 years after Granddad's death, maybe 1955 or 1956, again judging from the clothing, hair styles, and visible automobile tail light.

Someone in your family is a walking, talking archive. Interview while you can. I have so many double cousins in my family tree going back to pre-Civil War (Corbett, Eudaley, Edgar, Gresham), that when Family Tree Maker tells me to whom I'm related, I'm my own 6th cousin.

No comments: