Monday, July 02, 2012

Monday Memories--Very fresh, Blogging from Illinois

We're in Illinois for two reunions, high school and family.  My sister prepared a wonderful buffet meal for a variety of relatives--my siblings, aunt and uncle (father's younger siblings), cousins from both sides of the family, niece, nephew, great nephew, and assorted favorite in-laws.  I think there were over 20 of us.  The recipes were all from the Corbett Family Reunion Cookbook 1993, which I had prepared.  The occasion was my mother's 100th birthday (in May).  She died in 2000.  For "entertainment" we all took turns telling favorite "Olive" stories, and the general opinion was she was a remarkable woman. Another source of fun was a large bag of photos and mementoes from my mother's sister (died in 2011) who had saved birthday, Christmas, and get well cards, wedding announcements, graduation announcements (including my mother's 1926 8th grade commencement), newspaper stories, post cards, etc. for many years.  Each family member took items precious to their own family, and I'll mail some to the Florida niece and nephew.

The ladies of the class meet this evening and then the class reunion is at the Pines State Park tomorrow evening.  However, classmate Phil Egan died Saturday, and the funeral will be tomorrow, so I expect to see some classmates at the services or visitation.

Very hot here.  Instead of a cool walk along the lakefront, it was 77 degrees on a country road.

No comments: