Sunday, May 03, 2020

Time to open, guest blogger Jane Baird Lathem

CAUTION: Personal Opinion!!!!! I have completely understood the need for social distancing, washing hands, wearing masks, etc. for our safety. I do not doubt the severity of Covid 19. I know many have died or have been very sick with this virus. However, I find some inconsistency in the continued response. Every year thousands of Americans die with the flu. It is a terrible thing. But we are not informed every day on the news of the death toll from the flu and told to be very careful, wear masks, wash hands, etc. Yes, we are all encouraged to get a flu shot and, if of a certain age, be very careful about being around anyone with symptoms. But there is not the daily reporting about the flu and yet thousands die every year!

With this virus EVERYTHING came to a stand still. No church, no sports, no concerts, no state or national parks are opens, beaches closed and we must mask ourselves, wash hands for 20 seconds, sanitize everything that enters our home. I understand why this was done in the beginning. . . . this virus was an unknown. But I think it’s time to gradually open up, allow businesses to open while exercising common sense and allow churches to open their doors while also using common sense. It is beginning to feel like the government wants to tell me what I can do and when I can do it. I have seen what that does to people’s lives in Venezuela. I don’t want to see that here.

Will there still be cases of the virus. . . .yes. Will there still be cases of the flu. . . .yes. Will everyone exercise common sense.  . .  NO! But we must allow people to go back to work so they can provide for their families and provide for the needs of others. The government can give guidelines for the safest ways to do that but, ultimately, people will have to make the decisions for their own safety.

No comments: