Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Purging again--old photos

 It was not my intention to look through old photos.  Old framed photos.  Old, dusty and moldy framed photos with glass that had to be washed.  I was collecting Christmas dishes to go to the resale shop and opened a box.  There they were.  

After I got the Christmas boxes moved we (Bob had to help me move things) also found two big storage boxes of memorabilia from trips; but that will be another blog.

In the middle of the night it came to me.  I'd remove all the portraits from the frames and donate the frames.  After a very long nap today that left me too groggy to tackle this job, I first found an album that had no photos in it, and the open slip was at the top of the pages so it would take large photos.  So I took it to the basement and began removing the photos from the frames, wiping and washing as I went. Things were going well until I came across a church directory photo of my parents, about 5 x 7 and somewhat faded, and a very unattractive hair style for my mom. When I turned it over to remove the backing I discovered it had been glued.  I had to get several tools to separate the backing from the wood frame, which had glued brown paper under it.  When I finally got that separated from the wood, I discovered that the photo had been nailed in!  Yes, 10 thin nails about 1/2 inch then pressed against the photo. In a thousand years, this 45 year old photo wasn't going anywhere. Obviously, this had been done by the directory company.  Without breaking the glass, there was no way to remove the photo. So, I've scanned it and will have to throw away the photo.  The frame is raised, so I couldn't close the lid of the scanner making the image fuzzy.  It's painful to throw away photos, and I still have boxes to go.  I've labeled it 1973, however, until I find the church directory, I won't know for sure.



No comments: