Tuesday, November 25, 2003

#105 Low fat, sugarless, high carb and delicious

Yesterday I bought a huge amount of raisins at a low price. We eat raisins on our oatmeal, but I think these would last until 2005 at the small sprinkling we use. So what to do?

Last Friday a widower walked into the watercolor workshop at the senior center (all women) and jokingly said, "Where's the food?" People who live alone have a struggle finding good nutrition and socializing. So many senior centers, including ours, provide lunch for a reasonable fee and friends to share it with. But still, there is that hankering for something special, something home made. So I thought I'd make a raisin pie and take it to the senior center for snacking.

I haven't tasted raisin pie probably in 40 years, so I'm thinking it was probably something popular when dried fruit was used in place of fresh. I didn't find what I was looking for among Mother's recipes, or in my cookbooks. Not even "Granddaughter's Inglenook" had one. So I googled the following at cooks.com, using Splenda in place of sugar, and a peanut oil pie crust. Smells fabulous. Maybe I should taste it first--you know, just to be sure it is OK to share?

2 cups raisins
1 cup orange juice
1 cup water
1/2 cup sugar (Splenda works)
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon allspice
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
pie dough for double crust

Cook raisins in o.j. and water for 5 minutes (I wash mine first). Reduce heat. Combine sugar, cornstarch and allspice; stir into raisin mixture. Cook over medium heat until thickened, about 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in nuts and lemon juice. Cool 10 minutes.

Pour into unbaked pie shell and cover with top crust. Cut slits for steam. Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 375 degrees and continue baking 25-30 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown.

No comments: