Saturday, November 15, 2003

#87 How do they get away with it?


Yesterday my jaw dropped as I watched Ted Kennedy call President Bush’s nominees for judgeships, three women and a man, “Neanderthals.” Then Susan Estrich, a liberal law professor from California who regularly appears on Fox News, said not once but twice, the second time with a sneer, that Bush had only selected African American Janice Rogers Brown because she was black. Affirmative action at its worst, I believe is the phrase she followed with. If I had only heard it reported, I would thought it was “spin,” but I watched them both saying it on screen. Can you imagine if Republicans had said something even remotely similar? Maybe it only matters if they say it on ESPN.

Note: I tried to find a link to Susan Estrich's comment, but could not, since she apparently isn't important enough to make the various pundity columns. However, Google did ask me: Do you mean "Susan Estrich judges Foxy Brown?"

No comments: