Tuesday, November 11, 2003

80 Veteran’s Day, November 11

When I was visiting my father in May 2000, I painted a watercolor of his right shoe, black leather high-top and well-worn, surrounded by dandelions. It was an instant hit with the family, because those shoes and Dad’s hatred and attacks on any dandelion that would have the audacity to appear in our yard were legend. He died in May 2002. For his 90th birthday I wrote the following verses to go with the watercolor which I had scanned to notecards. The second verse is based on the last line from the Marine Hymn.

“If the Army or the Navy ever look on heaven's scenes,
they will find the streets are guarded by United States Marines.”











Daddy-lions
March 2003

My Daddy hated dandelions
They seemed to like our lawn,
Soon their little yellow faces,
Were destined to be gone.

My Daddy was a brave Marine,
at eighty-nine he died.
I know Dad guards the gates of heav’n--
No dandelions inside.