Sunday, November 02, 2003

#66 When your still life stinks


I went to watercolor workshop Friday morning. I haven't picked up a pen or brush since August 21 at Lakeside. Elaine called Thursday night and said, "where have you been girlfriend?" So Friday morning I put on my black cat apron, packed my bag with way too many things, and I was out of here at 9 a.m.

During the summer I had seen a painting in an art book of a still life of an eggplant, turnip and pepper placed on a cutwork doily. The rich purple, delicate pink and green appealed to me, so I went to the store and bought similar vegetables.

They all rotted in the garage refrigerator before I got around to painting them. So this time, I just copied the exercise from the book. I'm supposed to be in an art show November 15. I could title this: "My vegetables rotted, so I made this copy." Aggravates me when artists enter copies in shows unidentified. Especially if they get the blue ribbon or best of show.

No comments: