Tuesday, February 03, 2004

211 Computer Administrator--that's me again

Microsoft Windows recognizes that each computer has an administrator, and that person can update and fiddle with things. Well, for a long time, two plus years, that was me. But in January, Microsoft stopped recognizing me, and when I'd try to update our machine I was told I wasn't the Administrator.

Some guys from Chem Abstracts have helped me out. They were really baffled. Tried a lot of things. Last night one of them thought to Google "administrators only" "Windows XP Home" and up popped some directions (when flipping to Groups) on how to fix this. Apparently, I wasn't the only administrator who got pushed out the door.

The solution was at the Usenet group, Microsoft.public.windowsupdate and the topic was "XP Home Administrator Only Error - Updates," offered by C. Brandon Chapman. Everything is working again, thanks to Mr. Chapman and to John who worked his magic with that advice.

No comments: