Saturday, February 07, 2004

216 Girl with the Pearl Earring

I've been keeping a list of movies in my notebook that look worth seeing--when they come to the $1.00 theater ($.50 on Thursday, I think). However, the list is getting so long I realized I would miss some of them because quality doesn't always get to the second run theaters.

My list and rating number (out of 4) by the Columbus Dispatch includes: Calendar girls (3), Mona Lisa Smile (3), Cold Mountain (3.5), Something's Gotta Give (3), Lord of the Rings:final (4); Master and Commander (3.5), Big Fish (3); Win a date with Tad Hamilton (3), and Girl with the Pearl Earring (4).

After painting workshop yesterday, Elaine and I decided to do lunch and shell out $6, the outrageous matinee ticket price, to see "Girl with the Pearl Earring." It truly is a lovely movie, and quite appropriate as a follow-up to art class (sometimes we go to a local art show).

The movie is based on the book by Tracy Chevalier and the first chapter is at her website. I'm glad I looked at it because it fills in a few details I missed in the film--such as the servant girl Griete's artistic talent from the first minutes (or pages) of the story. It seems now I'll have to read the book to see what else was missed.

No comments: