Tuesday, February 24, 2004

237 I don't, I won't


A few days back I blogged at 225 that perhaps not all gays were thinking marriage is what they would do, and in the Feb. 20 issue of San Francisco Chronicle SFGate.com, I read:
""Marriage is not something that I feel I need to have for my relationship to be spiritually or emotionally complete," said Rebecca Rolfe, 42, deputy executive director at the San Francisco Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Center. "Essentially, I've been a longtime feminist and lesbian and have grown up having a lot of criticism of the institution of marriage. I've not necessarily seen it as a institution that benefits women or people in relationships."

Others were more pragmatic about the decision to opt out, citing the rather ominous words at the top of the marriage license application: "By entering into marriage, you may lose some or all of the rights, protections and benefits you enjoy as a domestic partner."

No comments: