Tuesday, October 05, 2004

510 A Spat about Beer

About a month ago I wrote about updating my blogroll at Church of the Acronym and adding some Lutherans, rejecting some Christian sites because of trash talking. With some reluctance, I added Daniel, a Lutheran, http://beerisforamateurs.blogspot.com/. Daniel loves beer, but doesn’t think much of non-LCMS Lutherans. He has also taken the word “Lutheran” out of Evangelical Lutheran Church of America, the synod to which my church belongs, and replaced it with an asterisk. Nice guy, huh? (Christians don’t need enemies; they’ve got each other.) But, I reasoned, maybe he is Gen-X or an Echo-Boomer and thinks it is cute. Generational differences, you know, so maybe he would mature.

I left a comment for him (e-mail) that I didn’t think much of his promotion of beer on a site intending to speak to the claims of Christ. (His only graphic is a grinning beer babe.) Now, according to one of his rants about me and my church, (“Who is Norma,” Oct. 3) Daniel the LCMS blogger has demanded to be removed from my blogroll. It is really tough to leave a comment at his website, or track back to his articles--you get e-mail or a web address, but no way for your comment to show in the context of the original.

I’ve got four blogs, a journal and three 3-mail addresses, and all my blogs are comment enabled. I’ve never received a message from Daniel. Somewhere in blogland another Norma is puzzling over a very odd message about beer.

2 comments:

RandomDan said...

I would like to make it clear that, just because I use the not-so-user-friendly haloscan. doesn't mean it is difficult to comment. You have to wait a while for it to load sometimes, but that is because it is free and I actually want comments from people who don't use Blogger or do not have blogs at all. If I used Blogger comments, many of my regular commentors would be left out and I do not want that. Not only that but, because I have Haloscan, I have two forms of trackback. If you ever bothered to click on the line that says, "I didn't expect a Spanish Inquisition(0)," you would find trackback. You can also click on the "#" sign in front of the "posted by Daniel@" line at the bottom of my posts. That brings up the single post you want and it also drags up the portrait of Bach I have sitting at the bottom of my page. My e-mail address, while not posted everywhere isn't all that difficult to find and, even if you couldn't find it, you could have asked and someone (quite possibly me) would have provided it for you. (daniel$sellers*gmail$com where $=. and *=@) What this tells me is that you really didn't even bother taking a good look at my site, just saw the beer girls and made your judgement from that.

My reply to your reply can be found at:
http://beerisforamateurs.blogspot.com/2004/10/i-went-back-to-normas-home-church.html
and you can even see a young Bach while you are there.

Norma said...

I've responded to your request and removed you from my blogroll, replacing you with a site more appropriate to my values. As a woman, a Christian and a Lutheran, I see no humor or benefit in beer babes and alcohol promotion on a Christian blog. But it is your site--your other links provide a valuable service.

I think the comment problem I've experienced varies with the computer. I've also had problems with Haloscan and odd e-mail addresses (not mine) in the response window.