Sunday, October 10, 2004

525 The third place pie

My apple pie received third place out of forty-five entries in the contest at the Fall Festival. I've had two pieces, and actually think it isn't as good as some I've made. The prize is a week of sailing lessons. Can you sense my excitement? Hmmm. I don't even own a swim suit. I don't put my toe in the water. I love to look, but not touch big bodies of water. I'm hoping I can exchange it for a car pass for 2005.

The program, the first ever for a fall evening at Hoover, was the Air National Guard Band of the Great Lakes, the "triple nickel," the 555th Air Force Band. They did a wonderful job--had several smaller ensembles, like a jazz band, a flute sextet, a winds group, a popular music group that did a wonderful rendition of "I can only imagine," and "American Soldier," and then a full concert band that provided the ever popular Armed Forces Medley when all the veterans in the audience stand up and I cry.

1 comment:

Norma said...

The link for the 555th no longer works, and when I checked I discovered it has been decommissioned as of 2013, with the last performance in 2011.