Monday, March 16, 2009

Home from the Holy Land

We were on a wonderful, tiring cruise called "The Steps of Paul" from March 4-15 with members of our church, UALC, their friends, and a group from the Columbus Greek Orthodox Church. Some in our group went on an extended Nile Cruise, and many of the Greeks flew back to Athens for a visit with friends and relatives. We tired Bruces just came home, both getting sick on airline food a few hours from JFK. What a mess! But we're recovering and I don't think this will be a repeat of our Italy trip last summer after which I ended up in the hospital for a few days. My husband took a gazillion photos and I'll be posting a few. Until I'm stronger. . . I'll repost something my friend Bev wrote just before we left--all true.
    Bon Voyage! Have fun and be safe. I am still green with envy. Wear your support stockings on the plane and any long bus rides. In Egypt follow your guides rules but if you get a chance the people are so poor especially in Cairo that a few shekels is always appreciated. In Israel climb up to into and around everything. There is so much history there. At Bethlehem crawl under the altar under the main altar and look through the star to the dirt. If Jesus wasn't born there it had to be close by. In Greece buy some Ouzo it tastes like licorice. Drink it with ice and the same amount of Ouzo and water. At the Parthenon go into the back of the temple of Athena and see the best representation of Nike bending to tie her sandal. If you get there please take a photo for me. Nike might have been moved to the museum by now though. At Ephesus look at everything again for me. Ephesus is my new favorite ancient city. I want to go back there some day not on a tour and just wander. Check out the history of the evil eye in Greece and Turkey.
    Lots of Love,
    Bev

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Norma, Did you get to "crawl under the alter to the main alter and look through the star to the dirt" at Bethlehem, as Deb suggested so poetically? I'm "green" with envy for that experience. Luckily, tomorrow I can turn my "greenness" into Irish celebration. Cheers!

Soapbox Jill said...

Oops, I meant Bev, not Deb. (: