Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Eaten any sushi lately?

Wood print depicting a man passing a strobila of a broad tapeworm. The caption (not shown) said, "The man ate masu salmon. After a time, a strange object emerged from the anus and was pulled out: it turned out to be 2–3 m long." From Shinsen Yamaino Soushi, by Daizennosuke Koan (1850). Illustration at the CDC Emerging Infectious Diseases, "Diphyllobothriasis Associated with Eating Raw Pacific Salmon." Link And they do mean emerging.

". . . in the past several decades, regions with endemic diphyllobothriasis nihonkaiense have disappeared from Japan, yet the infection has been perpetuated among urban people who eat sushi and sashimi."

Sort of makes those farm raised salmon look a little better, don't ya think?

3 comments:

Jo said...

GGGAAAAAGGGGHHHH!!!!
ohdeargod...I eat Pacific Wild Caught Salmon...alot! But well cooked! Sushi, thankfully, can't get down my throat due to my gag reflex (thanks to my western palate).

Norma I've been remiss in not thanking you for mentioning me.

After reading you every morning...I'm definitely outdone. Your site is a really good thought provoking read. And my site is a relatively thought free zone.


Thanks again!

Norma said...

But your photos are thought provoking!

Lady-Light said...

Good Lord. There are no words...