Sunday, February 07, 2010

Good-bye Bob

Bob Connors of 610 WTVN radio has been doing the morning drive time as long as I can remember, and I'm really not in the car all that much. But I think I heard him say 30 years, 6 days a week. Saturday as I was heading out for coffee, listeners were saying good-bye, because he's giving up Saturdays, his call-in program. Bob said he'd like to be able to take his wife out on Friday night like other people do and not worry about getting up early for the program. People call Bob and in a few minutes, report on kittens that need a new home, or a spaghetti supper raising funds for someone who's had a fire, or a political event, or just opining on the week's events. Some people only hear him on Saturday, so I suppose those were the ones most upset. In my opinion, he's got the best voice in radio, and John Corby, the afternoon guy, is running a very close second.

There's something really special about Bob, though, and I think this caller summed it up nicely, and I'm paraphrasing:

"Most people can hear, but very few really listen. We're going to miss you."

No comments: