Friday, February 05, 2010

Lunch out today

Usually on Fridays we go to the Rusty Bucket, but I'm eating lunch out today, and in an effort not to go up yet another size, I'll stick with that as my adventure of the day. Lunch with retired librarians. Yes, I know--you yawn--but really, that's a lot of smarts sitting around nibbling sandwiches or pie sipping decaf. And today it's at the MCL at Kingsdale, what the kids in the 70s and 80s (or maybe today) called the Medicare Lounge. I am one of the lesser stars in this constellation--most of them have a lot more education than I do and participate in many more activities. Adrienne, for instance, searches out organ concerts and special music events--and actually attends them! Susan, as I recall, is a master gardener or at least a wannabee. Chuck and his wife bicycle around the country, or at least the county. Eleanor is always on a cruise to interesting places. Jim is an expert on pottery and writes for archeology journals. Ruey has an advanced degree in piano, although I've never heard her play. Hardly anyone I know says at age 6, "I want to grow up to be a librarian." I told people I was going to be a missionary-doctor. Later I said I'd be a veterinarian. I think I know why. Most of the people you see behind a desk in the library, aren't librarians. The other day I got a complaint about a grumpy unhelpful librarian at Ohio State from a total stranger. I actually knew this guy, so I set him straight--that's not a librarian, but he was indeed the crabby face of the library.

It would also be a big help if the profession would settle on a name. I vote for "librarian."

Update: Our snowstorm rolled in about 9:30 a.m. The view from my office is now a delight of beautiful fat flakes--to watch, but not for driving. So lunch has been cancelled.

No comments: