Friday, May 07, 2010

Turmeric

What do you do with turmeric? "Turmeric has a peppery, warm and bitter flavor and a mild fragrance slightly reminiscent of orange and ginger, and while it is best known as one of the ingredients used to make curry, it also gives ballpark mustard its bright yellow color."
WHFoods: Turmeric

While I was cooking lunch today (onions, green beans and corn), I looked through my spice shelf. Hmmm. Things were looking a bit long in the tooth. It's the ones without dates that I'm worried about--you know, the ones that cost less than a dollar, and are stamped with a purple stamp. How many years has that been? Some with dates were 2005. All in all, I removed 10 cans/bottles. What was I thinking? I'm a salt, pepper, cinnamon, allspice type of cook. My former daughter-in-law was a fabulous cook and used interesting spices. Maybe she inspired me to try something different. Some may be from that era--others may have been from our first apartment in 1960 when I was really adventurous.

Incidentally, I really like The World's Healthiest Foods website. Whenever I want to know something about food or nutrition I turn there. Love the bibliographies. It's a librarian thing.

I left blogger dot com and Facebook for six days, and both changed their templates and/or security/announcement system while I was gone!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Funny! :o) I wouldn't be too scared of those older spice containers, though. Perhaps they're a wee bit less potent, is all. About turmeric: The only other thing I've used it for (aside from making curry powder, which you mentioned) is in potato salad. Just a pinch, to give it a golden tinge.

Brenda