Saturday, November 12, 2011

Don't ask me to "go green"

Going "green?" Newsletters, reports, directories, etc. suggest "going green" and saving the organization money. Pinecrest in Mt. Morris, IL was the most recent to suggest it. No thanks. A church or organization directory on line is useless as far as I'm concerned. Where will I write their cell phone # or the date I sent a card? I like to take the Pinecrest newsletter or the Ohio Historical Society newsletter or the TIAA-CREF newsletter to the coffee shop or the coffee table and take a closer look. I still think UALC made a HUGE mistake by discontinuing mailing its newsletter, even if it is available on-line. It's amazing what I see that I don't if it comes up on a screen for 20 seconds as I go through e-mail. Besides, my husband doesn't do e-mail. I know, some day it will probably not even be an option, but until then, I want to support the Post Office.

And if you're planning to e-mail your Christmas letter this year, go ahead, but it probably won't be read.

3 comments:

Jim McKee said...

I think a lot of this "go green" stuff is disingenuous. They should come clean... the green they're REALLY concerned about is the green they'll be saving.

Norma said...

Yes, and Pinecrest actually noted that, as did our church when going from paper directory to on-line. The mailing costs are considerable, and I'm sure they survey first to see how many people actually read these, or toss.

Soapbox Jill said...

Hmmm. So you haven't bought a kindle yet, have you? I mean, then you could never touch the paper lips of a book again and just download its contents directly to your brain thru the miraculous device.
(can you tell I'm with you on the tangible richness of holding a book in hand and being able to browse and read at leisure without eyestrain, neck or back strain or electromagnetic (or even build-in wifi) exposure kindles often have.