"If you want to think faster, be more creative and live life to the fullest, you will want to begin by feeding your brain good nutrients. While the brain weighs on average only 2% of our total body weight, it consumes up to 20% of the nutrients we take into our bodies.
Studies have shown these following foods have the maximum beneficial effects of our brains.
- Walnuts and raw almonds are great for the brain and delicious to eat. Substitute almond milk in your breakfast cereal to jump start your brain for the rest of the day.
- Jolly Green Giants - leafy dark green vegetables such as kale, spinach, collards and even romaine lettuce slow the rate of cognitive decline.
- Dark Chocolate - the flavanoids contained in dark chocolate improve circulation which helps speed oxygen to the brain.
- Monosaturated Fats, such as olive oil actually slow down brain aging. Enjoy avocados, another source of monosaturated fats; they improve vascular health and circulation.
- Eat more cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage and brussel sprouts. Studies have shown that people who eat a lot of cruciferous vegetables and leafy greens have a slower rate of cognitive decline.
- Indulge in foods rich with Omega 3’s such as salmon, sardines, lentils and flax seed.
- Eat more berries; the more colorful the fruit, the better it is for your body. Enjoy at least one serving of fruit a day.
- Stay hydrated. Dehydration can lead to impaired cognitive function.