Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Christmas meme from 2006

 I'm looking through my blog for Christmas menus using pork roast, and found this meme from 2006.

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? Egg Nog, definitely. I purchase it, then cut it in 1/2 with skim milk. We can't tell the difference.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just set them under the tree? We wrap--my husband always gets his under the tree first. My daughter's gift wraps are really elaborate and artistic. Mine are reused bows and paper.

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? We have white lights outside, and colored on the tree.

4. Do you hang mistletoe? No. We have open season on kissing in this house.

5. When do you put up your decorations ? Ours are up from Thanksgiving through New Year's Day.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? It depends if I'm doing Christmas Eve or Christmas day. Lately it's been boneless pork roast with an orange cranberry glaze.

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child The excitement. Particularly to see what doll clothes my mother had made.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? Santa wasn't part of our tradition--I always knew the story, and sort of hoped it was true, but realized about age 7 it wasn't. My husband, however, was a true believer, until he noticed that under Santa's red suit was a shirt the same as his uncle's (Santa used to stop at his Grandmother's.)

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? We did when I was a child, and when our children were young. Now we open them all on whatever day they are with us.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree? No theme except tradition. We have very old decorations--some from our first Christmas in 1960; some handmade by our children. I used to buy one or two each year and date them, but don't any more.

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? It's fun to see it fresh and white around Christmas, but I'm always anxious for it to melt to make better driving conditions.

12. Can you ice skate? No. I tried it a few times as a child and found it very difficult. Spent a lot of time sitting on the ice.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift? My father was discharged from the service in December 1945, and I remember that Christmas Mother got us (my 2 sisters and me) a doll house. It continued well through the grandchildren, and maybe great granchildren, being redecorated many times.

14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you? The coming of Christ for our salvation.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? Although I don't make them anymore, my husband's grandmother, Neno, made a fabulous sugar cookie cut-out.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Christmas Eve services at our church with lighted candles singing "Silent Night."

17. What tops your tree? An angel.

18. Which do you prefer giving or receiving presents? Giving.

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song? Although it is secular, I love "White Christmas" sung by Bing Crosby. I heard it first in California where it was damp and foggy and we were homesick for Illinois. It makes some sense because it was written by a Jew, Irving Berlin, about a Californian.

20. Candy Canes Yuck or Yum? OK for decorating, but I never eat them. Fudge would be my choice for Christmas candy.

No comments: