Thursday, December 31, 2020

Women who made a difference in 2020

ChloĆ© Zhao has made the "Change Makers List: 30 women who saved entertainment in 2020." Zhao won the Golden Lion Award this year at the Venice Film Festival (the first woman in a decade to do so) for the new drama “Nomadland.” It's about Americans suffering from the economy (of a decade ago). I read the book. I wonder what they did to it?

From my blog:  Collecting My Thoughts: Book review “Nomadland by Jessia Bruder  "I'm about 1/3 finished, but I get the drift. Convince the readers there's something terribly wrong with the USA instead of the poor decisions, divorces, childhoods and investments of selected people interviewed for the book. So far, although the "great" recession of 2008 is noted as a cause for the white collar workers, the underlying factors in many of these cases are divorce, and/or an unhappy, abusive childhood that also included divorce, disruption, and frequent moves. I've been skimming or reading books like this for 4 decades. And since the so-called War on Poverty and the disintegration of households of married couples and families, the discussion doesn't get more positive, but the journalists/fabulists don't seem to catch on."

No comments: