Saturday, December 19, 2020

Mom's Meat and Potato Quiche

 I was looking through my box of handwritten recipes the other day, and saw, "copied from Mom 1990" Meat and Potato Quiche.  So I decided to try it today because I had all the ingredients.  It's in the oven now, but I don't have great hopes for it.  It uses shredded potatoes for the crust, and I'd forgotten that potatoes are very watery and turn pink when shredded.  Directs say, press them into a 9" pie dish, bake for 15 minutes at 425 then add the meat, cheese and egg mixture, then put it back in the oven for 30 minutes.  I could see immediately that the egg/milk liquid seeped through the crust, so I expect a very difficult clean up.

Meanwhile, I checked the internet, and found several versions of this, and finally one that was an exact match.  Yes, watery potatoes, and liquid seeps through!  But one comment said, "Exactly like 'More with Less Cookbook,' and I know Mom liked that.  So I got mine out, and checked.  Exact match.  You can use diced chicken, ham or sausage, and I used some of the Thanksgiving turkey.  Taste test will be later.

Meat & Potato Quiche Recipe - Food.com

Doris Janzen Longacre wrote "More with less" cookbook and also "Living more with less." She was a Mennonite missionary.  I wrote about this cookbook at my blog in 2014.  She was my age and died when she was 39, but her cookbook sold over a million copies. In the 70s we thought if we had/ate less, we some how would help people who were poor with few material goods.  We know now, that isn't how it works. Life for the poor is improved when they have viable jobs and a decent government. One that doesn't abuse them.  Being careful with money, calories and nutrition is its own reward. Better health and less stress.  At that 2014 blog I included this, "Life is too short," which sounds like her philosophy and she might have written it, however the link is broken, so I can't tell for sure. But it was definitely my philosophy as a young mother in the 1970s. And life is too short to spend time tracking down obscure and broken links (although I do it often) in your 80s.

Life is too short to ice cakes; cakes are good without icing.
Life is too short to read all the church periodicals.
Life is too short not to write regularly to your parents.
Life is too short to eat factory baked bread.
Life is too short to keep all your floors shiny.
Life is too short to let a day pass without hugging your spouse and each of your children.
Life is too short to nurse grudges and hurt feelings.
Life is too short to worry about getting ready for Christmas; just let Christmas come.
Life is too short to spend much money on neckties and earrings.
Life is too short for nosy questions like "How do you like your new pastor?" Or—if there’s been a death—"How is he taking it?"
Life is too short to be gone from home more than a few nights a week.
Life is too short not to take a nap when you need one.
Life is too short to care whether purses match shoes or towels match bathrooms.
Life is too short to stay indoors when the trees turn color in fall, when it snows, or when the spring blossoms come out.
Life is too short to miss the call to worship on a Sunday morning.
Life is too short for bedspreads that are too fancy to sleep under.
Life is too short to work in a room without windows.
Life is too short to put off Bible study.
Life is too short to put off improving our relationships with the people we live with.

So maybe I'll browse some more in that cookbook. . . and think about Mom.

Here's another blog written by someone else. Life-Changing Cookbooks: More-with-Less - Paste (pastemagazine.com)

15 minutes later: Taste test. Not ready for prime time; glad I didn't try this one for company brunch.




No comments: