Thursday, April 15, 2004

298 Keep your mind sharp

Having just spent a few days with friends and family, some of whom I've known for over 60 years, I heard a lot of regrets about misremembered or forgotten names, faces, and facts. Today the local paper had a syndicated article on how to keep your older brain sharp. The author only listed nine things, but I think there are more, so I’ve added numbers ten through twenty. I think there must be thirty, so e-mail me if you think of any more and I'll add them to the list. Actually, I would put my number ten at the top of the list to start the week out right.

1. Socializing--listening as well as speaking.
2. Music--listening as well as performing.
3. Puzzles--crossword is good; jigsaw too.
4. Games--even the old standards like checkers and chess
5. Activities like Toastmasters--helps to organize your thoughts
6. Visit museums and art galleries
7. Reading--try a genre you don’t like (mysteries, science fiction)
8. TV (this some seems a little weak to me)
9. Volunteerism--mentor, nursing home, animal rescue, environment, food pantry

10. Corporate worship, listen, sing, kneel, shake hands
11. Physical activity like dancing, hiking, aerobics, walking
12. Attend City Council and school board meetings
13. Attend support group meetings--Al-Anon, Tough love, Over-eaters, Visually impaired, COPD, etc.
14. Become a fan and supporter of a lesser known sport--women’s lacrosse, volleyball, crew
15. Write your memoirs in a group where you listen and share the discussion
16. Learn some introductory phrases in a foreign language
17. Become a conversation partner or reading volunteer
18. Try one new recipe a month and invite a guest for dinner
19. Learn the names of all the bushes and trees in your yard, then your street, then your neighborhood
20. Choose a long standing problem and solve it in 30 or 90 days

No comments: