Friday, September 09, 2005

1489 What's your address?

my daughter said in a phone call this week. Our 45th wedding anniversary is coming up and she wanted to address the card. Her palm pilot was down (broken? dead?). I've thought about this question numerous times this week watching family members at various evacuation centers trying to reconnect. This disaster has proven once again it is your family, neighbors, friends and church that come through in the initial stages; after you are all swamped and powerless, the cavalry might ride into town.

Once a year I send out a one sheet address list to my family members--my brother, my sister, their children and our children. When I started this about 10 years ago I included a line with the names of the younger children (my sibs' grandchildren), however, as cell phones, fax numbers, and work numbers were added I had to drop that to save space. I don't know what people do with this list after I send out the revisions, but I suspect it might go in the safe deposit box at the bank because I seem to get phone calls as though I am Ms. Information Please.

However, the only phone numbers I know by heart, which I could recall in an emergency if I lost my purse or didn't have access to my computer, would be that of my parents, and they died in 2000 and 2002. Oh yes, and I remember the phone number we had in the 1950s--59-L. We bought a new cell phone this week and neither of us knew our own cell phone number when the clerk asked. I have even worse control over the phone numbers and addresses of my husband's family, the people who put "blended family" into our modern vocabulary. He has them penciled in somewhere on a little card, and I don't know where that is, and this summer when we needed to call someone from the lake house, the card was in Columbus.

Perhaps for emergency preparedness, I need to memorize some phone numbers?

No comments: