Sunday, September 10, 2006

2843 Lessons in pie baking

After all these years of declaring myself the second best pie baker east of the Mississippi (my mother was #1), I've learned an extremely painful lesson today. I've lost my touch. I may never bake again.

I probably should have figured this one out even without high school chemistry, but apparently, if you're going to make a fresh fruit pie ahead of time, you should freeze it, not refrigerate it. You need something to stop the sugar's reaction with the fruit.

A few days ago I made a fresh peach, two crust pie. As a special treat, I actually used sugar which I rarely do. Then I covered it and put it in the garage refrigerator (which sometimes works, sometimes doesn't, but seems to be on a roll right now). When I went to get it this morning to put it in the oven, the juice had expanded (exploded?) and was everywhere the pie pan wasn't in gooey puddles. I gingerly carried it into the house and with a half a roll of paper towels attempted to clean it up.

It is now in the oven and smells wonderful; however, we all know that the juice is now below the bottom crust, burbling and bubbling, waiting to become permanently gelled to the pie pan as it bakes. The pan is nearing 50 years old (I had it before I was married), but still, I wasn't anxious to toss it. In order to eat this, we'll probably have to treat it like peach cobbler, dousing it with some vanilla ice cream. Sigh.

No comments: