Monday, September 04, 2006

Monday Memories: My 10 minutes of fame

Recently I wrote about the Hillbilly Housewife and her food budget. In September 1982 I was front and center of the food section of the Columbus Dispatch, "Scratch cooking saves money," written by Becky Stiles Belt. It says, "Not many families with two adults and two teen-agers eat for $55 a week. Norma Bruce and family do. . . She spends less than the government allots for a family of four on food stamps. She contends that not only does her family save money, they eat more nutritiously.


"Bruce makes almost all her meals from scratch. She calls herself a "wall shopper"--a person who shops along grocery store walls where produce, meat and dairy products are located and avoids the largely processed foods in the center of the store. Bruce's meals are built around "whole foods"--grains, meats, natural cheeses and a lot of fresh vegetables and fruits."

The article goes on to mention that I worked part-time and sympathized with harried working parents--that I saved time by preparing one-dish or make-ahead meals such as soups and casseroles and master mixes such as biscuit mix, cocoa mix and granola.

The big issue for me, which was down played in the article because of advertising revenue, was that I never used coupons. "Her research of government and independent studies led her to believe that time she would spend clipping coupons for processed foods would be better spent making the foods from scratch. 'The time Mom used to have for home-prepared meals is now used matching ads, making trips to different stores for double coupon day, attending coupon trading get-togethers and attending special classes on how to save money refunding,' said Bruce in a consumer newsletter she wrote for friends. Her own sample studies in coupon clipping, storing and use indicate about four extra minutes are needed for each coupon used."

I was also interviewed on this topic on a radio talk show, and in a morning television spot, and invited to speak at ladies' luncheons. I don't think anyone believed me, because people want to believe in a "free lunch."

Ah fame. It is such a fleeting thing.

Click here for the Monday Memories Code, Blogroll, Graphics, & Other Information


Trackbacks, pings, and comment links are accepted and encouraged!

My visitors this week are:
Mrs. Lifecruiser, Friday's child, Nea, Nightingale, Reverberate58, The Shrone, Ma, Chelle Y. Irish Church Lady, Randy Kirk, Susan, Gincoleaves, American Daughter (be sure to read her on-line journal by the same name)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, you know, that article could have been published now. It would do good now. Too many familys don't cook at all any longer. It's very sad.

*shaking my hungry monster head*

FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

That was a great info. Now-a-days, we need a Bruce. Food is very expensive now.
My Monday Memories is up too.

Neoma said...

It always amazed me how many women I hear say, "I don't cook." How does a person NOT cook......Mom was a scratch cook, she is 92 and still is, right down to homemade bread. I never ate a packaged cookie or anything while growing up. Can't say that my kids haven't, but I do plenty of scratch cooking also. We hate eating out, I am just to frugal to want to pay what it costs when I can feed the whole family for a week on one meal out.

Nice to meet you, thank you for coming by my blog.

I love your wallpaper on your blog, the trees. Don't know how you got it in there, but I love it.

Neoma said...

I really haven't a clue how to join things on blogger. Although it might be clear to others to me it is all greek, I am HTML challenged. haha

Viamarie said...

What an amazing story. This is what we need to do nowadays.

Cheers to a new week!

Anonymous said...

What a great memory to have! I was going to post a similar thing of an article with my husband, but change my mind. I'll do in another time.

I'm up.

Irish Church Lady :) said...

Great story! It's funny that back in '82 you were talking about grocery store perimeter shopping because that's what they recommend today in articles all the time to make sure that you are eating healthier.

I agree, I don't bother coupon clipping or going from store to store for sales anymore. With the price of gas, it's not worth it and my time is definitely more important than that.

It's funny how we get all caught up in saving a bit here and there, yet we can spend a few dollars on a coffee and muffin without even thinking, or have to throw out leftovers because they've been hidden at the back of the fridge too long. I'm more into buying smaller amounts and using up what we have these days. Or at least I'm trying.

Hey I played Monday Memories for the first time this week! :)

Love your trees too! It's so nice to come here!

Randy Kirk said...

I wonder how it really would compare to now. We shop at Costco for the great produce and prices on things like breads and meat. We shop at Trader Joes for the things Costco can't or doesn't do. We go to Albertson's for only what can't be done at those two.

We have three boys 10-17, and we pack lunches for them and me. We do live in an expensive place, WLA, CA. Our food runs $200 a week. "Food" includes paper supplies and other non-foods that are commonly purchased at grocery stores.

Ginco said...

Hi Norma, thanks for visiting my blog.
I do believe Nea said it all for me, what more can I add? That is the reason why we shop in Germany, quantity and quality for far less than in Switzerland, shopping for food here is a RIP-OFF.

Susan said...

I wish you could come and coach me. I can't even get a t.v. dinner in the microwave right. I've tried and tried to do the right/scratch/better nutritious/frugal thing and still can't figure it out. I've read a lot of women with add have this kind of problem. HOWEVER, if I could just figure out a routine and practice it into my brain, I could.

I just started packing the kid's lunches and while I still using pudding cups and raisin boxes, maybe I'll evolve as I get routine worked out.

My husband is a scratch cooker, but he makes extermely unhealthy things and makes them even worse by adding butter, butter, sugar, and more sugar.