Thursday, June 07, 2007


Thursday Thirteen Resolutions

According to Willowcreek's Network, my highest score is in Wisdom, and second highest are Administration and Giving (tied). These are not popular, fun "gifts." These traits are sensible, insightful, practical, fair, commonsense, thorough, objective, responsible, resourceful, disciplined, organized, efficient and conscientious. See what I mean?

Because I write on a variety of topics, and so many blogs, I have to be cautious about criticism. You just have no idea how much is excluded (I keep a written journal), so I make an effort to redirect some energy. Not always successfully. First, I drafted this 13 list and then went through and deleted the word "try." Try is a really wimpy verb, and I criticize others who use weak verbs and sloppy sentences. It's unlikely I'll be able to keep these--I think I've already broken number one and number four, but here goes.
    1. When I see an outrageously dressed person, brown cotton eyelet full circle skirt, gray pumps and pink bandana I will turn my head or close my eyes instead of drawing a sketch.

    2. When I see someone who has problem at the sample table of the coffee shop, I won't speculate what losing or gaining 20 lbs could do for his/her health and knees.

    3. When I see a smoker, I will resist cataloging wrinkles, coughs, and yellowed fingers using my strongest traits.

    4. I will resist going to church so I won't be tempted to comment on things that upset me or theology that doesn't make sense.

    5. When I see a loose dog or cat, I will pray for the critter's safety instead of criticizing the careless, bad mannered owner even my neighbor with the Vizsla that wants to join us on our deck during dinner.

    6. When I see an ugly, unreadable, squirrely webpage or blog, I will not scan through it looking for the webmaster or comment section.

    7. When I accidentally come across Katie Couric or another gloomy news reader, I'll just change channels.

    8. When I hear or read about what the idiots in Congress are doing, I'll refrain from calling them names--or the people like me, who elected them.

    9. I will blog less at my regular site and work on my hobby bloggy and illegal immigration blog. I stopped blogging for a week and dropped 300 points on TTLB.

    10. Since I'm such a good problem solver, I'll satisfy this need by finding and fixing problems in my house, car, garage, closets and bookshelves or experimenting with new recipes. By 2010, I can probably have these under control.

    11. I will try to keep track of only 2 or 3 Republican 2008 candidates and not poke fun at or make rude comments about the other moral midgets others.

    12. I will ignore family problems. Mine and yours. No one wants to be someone else's fixer-upper or project.

    13. I will refocus on my art. A critical eye is needed in perspective, value, hue, tone, and quality. I think it's been a year since I did this one.

11 comments:

JAM said...

I wouldn't plan on a vacation to Florida if I were you. The clothing choices of most folks down here are unbelieveable.

Is that a watercolor in the pic at the bottom, or a photoshop version? I've always been fascinated by watercolor, it seems to me to be more difficult than oils. But what do I know, the last painting I tried was a color by numbers kit when I was about 10.

The Rock Chick said...

I just love the crossed out words! Very clever way to write the post!!!

Most of those things irritate me, too!!

Happy TT
Jessica The Rock Chick

Norma said...

This is w.c. from an enlarged photo of me and a friend, and we became college roommates when we grew up. There were 5 children in the photo but I didn't have that much patience, which is why I don't paint in oil.

Cindy Swanson said...

That's quite a list! Did you really mean that about resisting going to church?

Carina said...

I have issues with cynical and critical nature, too. Serious genetic issues. I pray a lot that God will give me discernment and wisdom without cynicism and skepticism. Only he can do it. I've tried on my own, and it's not working.

Angela/SciFiChick said...

I'll forever give a cough around smokers. I know it won't deter them, but I have to state my disgust in a not-so-subtle way.

Anonymous said...

Some of my pet peeves are on that list too.

Crimson Wife said...

Your post reminds me of how I edit my thoughts to try to be more Christian ;-)

Qtpies7 said...

I try hard not to judge people, its not always easy though! When I do open my mouth about something, God usually throws me in something similar and I have a new view of the situation. So, I'd rather not be one of those people who are talked about, lol.

Drew said...

I think you should draw a sketch of badly dressed people because it's funny *lol*. I wish I had had a pencil and paper tonight when saw a lady running around in boxer shorts.

TeaMouse said...

Isn't it amazing what kind of things can really annoy you...I'm glad I'm not the only one with these pet peeves.