Friday, December 07, 2007

Church kitchens

As long as I was employed, the church kitchens of Columbus were safe. But this week I've worked in two different church kitchens, one to make candy and one to serve an Advent lunch (I also served communion, but that's not done in the kitchen). Yesterday I made cole slaw a new way and wanted to record the recipe before I forgot it. I think it is called "Asian cole slaw," (but not quite). It doesn't taste at all like my mother's slaw, which was sweet and had apples and raisins.

The woman in charge of the kitchen and Advent lunches wasn't there--she has a part-time Christmas job, so she had written out the instructions and purchased the ingredients. Fortunately, a woman I knew whose teen-agers were in Luther League (or whatever it was called in the 80s) with mine had made this before and was able to assist me. I've looked this recipe up in Google today, but most versions have sugar, some have peanuts, some have mayo, some have onions, some seseme seeds and most had more salt. I tend to over salt things, and I thought this was fine and it wasn't dripping with oil like so many church salads. Because so many of the guests are 80 or over, or have special dietary needs, I suspect sugar and extra salt is left out.
    First, find a really huge bowl, bigger than anything you have at home and a giant spoon. If you don't spend much time in church kitchens, this is the first challenge--our church has a commercial grade kitchen, guaranteed to drive the ordinary woman crazy.

    Add four packages of chopped raw cabbage slaw mix (don't know the size but I'd recognize it if I saw it) to the bowl.

    Mix in four packages of Ramen noodles, reserving the flavor packets which are inside (I think this is what it is called--real stiff, hard things in little curls?) Crunch and separate the hard dry Ramen noodles, and mix with the cabbage. If you don't do this, you'll have hard dry lumps in the slaw and your guests will break a tooth. I'm so glad the other lady had made this before, because that part was left out of the written instructions.

    Then mix the 4 flavor packets into the dressing, which is made of
      2 cups of oil
      1/4 cup of rice wine vinegar
      1 teaspoon of salt
      1 teaspoon of pepper


    Mix the dressing thoroughly with the cabbage/noodle mix. Ignore the more experienced church ladies who try to rush you.

    Put the bowl in the commercial size frig for at least an hour; friend from the 80s said overnight is even better to enhance the flavor.

    Before serving, toss in 2-3 small packages of slivered almonds.

    Serve this crunchy delight with the black bean and rice soup, corn bread, and scoops of colorful sherbet in plastic cups with a crisp sandwich ice cream cookie on the side (these are fixed ahead, refrigerated, and put out with the meal) on tables decorated for the season by the other church ladies who were asked to help.
Bring the leftovers home after they've first been offered to the guests; a perk of service for Jesus.

No comments: