Friday, July 04, 2008

Italy, little oops

There are still honest people in the world. Twice I left my purse, but it was returned. The first time was in a rest room, and I hung it on a door hook in a stall, and left it there. The next user came rushing out with it and said, "Is this yours?" Whew! Actually, I wasn't carrying much in it except a few Euros, Kleenex, comb, lipstick, a notebook and my phone list, but the purse was expensive. Then after our visit to Pompeii, I left it in the restaurant, but a waiter found it.

Italy has wonderful gelato (ice cream) and we thought my husband was spilling drops on his trousers, and we finally figured out it was so hot that the stain on his leather watch band was dissolving from perspiration and dripping on his pants. We had to remove his watch, wrap it in a paper towel and put it in a baggie.

The gelato was so good, one time I decided to get adventurous and pointed to lemon--lemon being the BIG flavor of the region. Usually I ordered chocolate. But I got a surprise. It was lemon sherbet (don't know the Italian word) which is a bit tart, and not a favorite.

Cafe Americano whether from behind the counter in a shop or from a machine in the hotel is a bit disappointing. They just add hot water to espresso. It had no flavor at all. Even the Russians make better American coffee than the Italians.

Sweety, have you seen my glasses?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was in Mexico last week and I had my hands full of parcels and I apparently dropped my rental car key when locking the parking area gate.

The next day when I realized that I had dropped my key I called the rental car company to get a replacement. They told me that Mrs. Ocampo at the library a block away had found the key and called Avis to report it as it had a key tag with the description of the car and the telephone number for the rental car place.

I went to the library where they were having a staff development day, but the secretary went to Mrs. Ocampo's desk and gave me the key.

Nice to see people who care can be found throughout the world.