Monday, July 07, 2008

Italy, Thursday, Day 9, after lunch

After our brisk walking tour of Florence in the morning, a group of us headed to Ristorante Pennello, recommended by our AHI guide, Mick. The food was great--I had a plate of rice and vegetables, which is close to what I eat at home and my husband had soup. Actually, we didn't find any bad food in Italy (unless it was what I ate at the Rome airport which might have caused my intestinal disturbance sending me to the ER). I don't know all the names, but we had a different type of pasta every day. Every day.

With Velta and George in Florence

After lunch we backtracked to the Basilica and got in line, and it moved fairly quickly.



Dome interior

From there we did this rather odd zig zag lope through Florence. This isn't an exact map, but I think it was close. And it was so hot. I whined a lot!



From the Basilica we walked to the Dominican church of Santa Maria Novella, begun in 1246 and standing on an earlier church built in 1094. The marble was added in the 14th c.--seemed to be a trend in renovation back then. We might have just spent the day there, because there are many chapels all filled with art, but we moved on.



Then we looked for the bridge, also a tourist site, so we could get to Palazzo Pitti.

You could spend a day just browsing the shops on this bridge. "Oh look, honey, it's only 1,250 Euro!" "Can't stop now."

Palazzo Pitti, built for banker Luca Pitti in the 1450s, became the Medici family residence. Because the outside isn't particularly charming or beautiful, we didn't take a photo, and I'm not sure we were allowed to inside. Anyway, there are 8 museums in this building, in which any one you could spend days. The Gallerina Palatina collection (16th-18th c.) alone houses Titan and Rubens, Fiorentino and Sarto. Other galleries are Jove, Saturn, Education, Justice, costume, modern art and silver.

Borrowed photo from the web, but I could easily be among the sitting tourists while my husband went to get the very expensive tickets. If you are traveling with or are an artist, this is a great place; with an architect, not so much.



From Palazzo Pitti we galloped along the river, crossing to see the medieval church Santa Croce, magnificent even with scaffolding. According to legend it was founded by St Francis in the 13th century. It contains the tombs of some of Italy's most illustrious sons--Ghiberti, Michelangelo, Machiavelli, Galileo, Nori, Bruni and Rossini. It contains wonderful frescos, according to my guidebook, but by this time I couldn't move another step, and sat down, while my husband went in without me.



Thursday, Day 9, Before lunch

2 comments:

JAM said...

I know it's tough being the wife of a dweeb.

Lovely Wife has a patented "look" she gives me when I begin a lecture that she has no interest in hearing.

Still, amazingly beautiful buildings there.

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

Stunning!