Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Baked Orzo with Gruyere and Peas

I've been a bit under the weather today--had to skip the Advent noon services so my husband served Communion in my place. I've had ONN on, a channel I don't think I've ever watched because I don't get it in my office. I walked through the living room and saw Robin Davis of the Columbus Dispatch explaining how to make BAKED ORZO WITH GRUYERE AND PEAS--which is sort of macaroni and cheese, orzo being rice shaped pasta. It looked awfully good--but don't they always when the TV cooks make them? Here's the link. And I'm going to write out the ingredients since I print my blog:
    4 cups canned low-salt chicken broth
    1 pound orzo pasta
    1 cup milk
    4 ounces shredded Gruyere cheese
    4 ounces fresh mozzarella, cut into cubes
    1 cup frozen peas, thawed
    Salt and pepper to taste
    1 tablespoon butter
    1/2 cup fresh white bread crumbs
    1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Butter a 2-quart serving dish. Bring broth to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add orzo. Cook until almost tender, stirring occasionally. Transfer orzo mixture to a large heat-proof bowl. Add milk, Gruyere, mozzarella and peas. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish. Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter in same skillet over medium heat. Add bread crumbs. Toss to moisten with butter. Stir in cheese and thyme. Sprinkle over orzo. Bake until mixture is bubbling and topping is golden brown, about 20 to 30 minutes.

PER SERVING: 374 calories; 19 g protein; 48 g carbohydrates; 2 g fiber; 12 g fat (7 g saturated); 36 mg cholesterol; 231 mg sodium

Looks like a great dish for a pot-luck. She said the cubed mozzarella would melt but remain in cubes--offering a surprise when found by the eater. You can also use broccoli flowerettes in place of the peas.

3 comments:

Deb said...

Sounds yummy; thanks. I needed a hot dish to send to school next week for a teachers' luncheon.

Norma said...

Good luck with your new blog on books, http://bookish-deb.blogspot.com/ although I thought your old one was just fine.

Unknown said...

I've never cooked orzo but I'm copying this recipe and going to try it out when I can take a break and have some white flour pasta. I allow myself a splurge once a month. It sounds sumptious.