Sunday, December 14, 2008

Why do people do these?

This must be the longest meme on the Internet, and I'm guessing there used to be more, because who would quit at #99? I “borrowed” this from Pauline who in turn borrowed it from someone else. The things I’ve done are starred; the ones I’d like to do are not on the list, but your mileage will differ. The ones I might never do are left alone. I guess I don't have any interest in Paris or China or seeing a concentration camp.

*1. Started your own blog. Yes, in October 2003 and 10 more--links on the right side bar.
*2. Slept under the stars. Oh, I’m sure--when I was a teen-ager--Camp Emmaus, and our own back yard (small town--different time).
*3. Played in a band. First chair trombone, high school band, Mt. Morris, IL.
*4. Visited Hawaii. Yes--1985 I think. Fabulous--nothing like it.
*5. Watched a meteor shower. Yes, seems like it was in the 1950s.
*6. Given more than you can afford to charity. Yes, but you always get more than you give--that‘s a promise from God.
*7. Been to Disneyland/World . Yes, both. 1977 California and 1986 Florida.
*8. Climbed a mountain. Someplace in California, summer 1957.
*9. Held a praying mantis Yes, as a teen. Haven’t seen one in years.
*10. Sang a solo. Yes, used to be a soprano--now have a range of about 5 notes.
11. Bungee jumped.
12. Visited Paris.
13. Watched a lightning storm at sea. I’ve seen plenty on land and over Lake Erie.
*14. Taught yourself an art from scratch. Yes. I don’t take lessons unless I’ve learned a lot first. How else would I know I want to do it?
*15. Adopted a child.
*16. Had food poisoning. I remember that pie.
17. Walked to the top of the Statue of Liberty. I’ve seen it up close, but not that close.
*18. Grown your own vegetables. I dug up a small section of the back yard on Abington Rd. once. I think those were the most expensive tomatoes and pole beans on record.
19. Seen the Mona Lisa.
*20. Slept on an overnight train. We did Amtrak in 2003--great trip. Coach isn’t too great for sleeping, we did that a few nights too--cross country.
*21. Had a pillow fight. Probably camp or an overnight.
22. Hitch hiked.
*23. Taken a sick day when you’re not ill. I had so much sick leave left when I retired, I had to give up several months of sick days, but I’m sure I did at some point.
*24. Built a snow fort. And snow horses.
*25. Held a lamb. Or was that a calf.
26. Gone skinny dipping. No way.
27. Run a Marathon. I walked the “Raccoon Run” at Lakeside about 30 years ago.
28. Ridden in a gondola in Venice
*29. Seen a total eclipse. With a huge crowd at a park in Illinois.
*30. Watched a sunrise or sunset. More times than I could count. Most recently in 2008 on the dock at Lakeside.
*31. Hit a home run. I’m sure I did when I was in grade school--I was a very good athlete then. We even played ball in skirts.
*32. Been on a cruise. Alaska 2001. River cruise in Germany/Austria 2005.
*33. Seen Niagara Falls in person. We were there in 1963, and again about 3 years ago. Better the first time--the tall buildings detract and create a misty fog.
*34. Visited the birthplace of your ancestors. How far back? Grandpa was born near Dayton, Ohio, Grandma near Ashton, Illinois. But I’m 9th generation, so that would be a lot of places to visit just in the USA.
*35. Seen an Amish community. Lots of those in Ohio.
*36. Taught yourself a new language. Not sure what “taught yourself” means. No one else can do it, right? But I’m not too good at it.
*37. Had enough money to be truly satisfied. Oh, yes. Just about a year ago.
38. Seen the Leaning Tower of Pisa in person.
39. Gone rock climbing.
40. Seen Michelangelo’s David. In Florence we saw the replica.
41. Sung karaoke
42. Seen Old Faithful geyser erupt.
*43. Bought a stranger a meal in a restaurant. A stranger paid for our meal once--thought our children were well behaved.
44. Visited Africa.
*45. Walked on a beach by moonlight. Ocean, but also Lake Erie.
46. Been transported in an ambulance. Can you get admitted faster if you go by ambulance?
*47. Had your portrait painted. By my husband.
48. Gone deep sea fishing.
49. Seen the Sistine Chapel in person.
50. Been to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris.
51. Gone scuba diving or snorkeling.
*52. Kissed in the rain.
*53. Played in the mud. And the road tar. Small town.
*54. Gone to a drive-in theater often as a teen. White Pines, between Oregon and Polo. Here's a list of some Illinois theaters that might be revived, but White Pines isn't among.
55. Been in a movie.
56. Visited the Great Wall of China.
*57. Started a business. I was certainly part of my husband’s--his staff, and I may have been named vice-president, or something. (He used to say, “The kids left home, Norma got tenure and the cat died, so it was time to start my own business.” Having benefits really helps the transition.)
58. Taken a martial arts class.
*59. Visited Russia. In 2006--took the train to St. Petersburg from Helsinki. I never thought it could happen (was a Russian major in college during the Iron Curtain years).
*60. Served at a soup kitchen.
*61. Sold Girl Scout Cookies.
62. Gone whale watching .
*63. Received flowers for no reason. My husband loves surprises. One time a guy in a Gorilla costume delivered them and I think he sang.
*64. Donated blood, platelets or plasma.
65. Gone sky diving
66. Visited a Nazi Concentration Camp
*67. Bounced a check. Once. I had 2 accounts and wrote a check on the wrong one.
68. Flown in a helicopter. Could have done this in Alaska but I stayed in the lodge and took a nap and my husband went.
*69. Saved a favorite childhood toy. I incorporated them in the decorating.
*70. Visited the Lincoln Memorial. In high school on a church trip.
71. Eaten caviar
*72. Pieced a quilt. It only got to the top phase--never finished it, but I come across it every now and then.
*73. Stood in Times Square
74. Toured the Everglades.
*75. Been fired from a job. I was fired from Beaky’s Barrel (drive-in restaurant) because I couldn’t keep the orders straight and was too slow, but I was only 13.
76. Seen the Changing of the Guard in London.
77. Broken a bone. Never.
*78. Been on a speeding motorcycle. It wasn’t exactly speeding--it belonged to a co-worker and I was the passenger, but we did make it to the highway.
*79. Seen the Grand Canyon in person. Breathtaking. August 2003.
80. Published a book. I wrote it--no one wanted it. Just journal articles.
81. Visited the Vatican.
*82. Bought a brand new car. First new car was a Volkswagen--1964 I think. Bright blue.
*83. Walked in Jerusalem. Coming up in 3 months. So I’m fudging on this a bit.
*84. Had your picture in the newspaper. Several times. Most recently I think was about an art class I was in.
*85. Read the entire Bible. Might have dozed off in a few places or skipped a few OT battles and laws.
*86. Visited the White House. I think my niece’s husband got us up moved up in line--he worked for a gov’t agency.
87. Killed and prepared an animal for eating. Watched Dad chopped off chickens' heads, and cleaned by Mom, but I never did it, never want to.
*88. Had chickenpox. Yes, and measles, whooping cough, pneumonia and scarlet fever, too. In the days before vaccines and penicillin.
*89. Saved someone’s life. I witnessed to someone who became a believer and later a pastor.
*90. Sat on a jury. Hope I never get called again.
*91. Met someone famous. Ran into Rod Serling in the Columbus airport years ago. Passed the “Jackson 5” in the hall at a downtown hotel in Columbus when they were still together. I've been to rallies for John McCain and George Bush, although I probably couldn’t get past the Secret Service.
*92. Joined a book club. Great group--I joined in 2000 when I retired. They stick to business and are all nice people. They’ve been together 26 years.
*93. Lost a loved one. Many.
*94. Had a baby. Two.
*95. Seen the Alamo in person. Library conferences take you to interesting places.
*96. Swam in the Great Salt Lake. I was pretty small, so I probably waded.
*97. Been involved in a law suit. One of those group things where you get 10 cents by the time the lawyer takes his share.
*98. Owned a cell phone. Technically--although I always ask which button to push if it rings.
*99. Been stung by a bee. Twice. Once in Forreston at Sauerkraut Day, and once while watch my son play pee-wee football--crawled up inside my slacks.

No comments: