Sunday, December 14, 2008

Happy New Year

Yes, it's a bit early, but I want you to click over and read the University of Nebraska at Lincoln Extension website, by Alice Henneman. I signed up for her newsletter many years ago, while I was still with Ohio State. This year she's looked for a way to use the letters in Happy New Year, and I think she's done a good job. The "R" stands for "reading materials." She uses a quote from Mark Twain, "Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." Now with the internet we have access to all sorts of strange theories, drugs, spiritual health gurus and health hype. Most of us, assuming we don't have a serious disease or haven't been in a terrible accident, need to eat less move more. ELMM. I know I do. (Would you believe I caved yesterday and bought a bag of corn chips--they weren't Fritos, but tasted just as good, and now I'll have to throw out what's left.) Of course you'd believe it. You've done the same thing. I have a friend from high school who has battled cancer twice, but she keeps walking and is an inspiration I'm sure to the entire town, who see her out there in all kinds of weather. Plus it pumps up those endorphins and strengthens her bones and resolve.

But back to UNL Extension in Lancaster County Nebraska, Go and read it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

At least run off the water while singing Happy Birthday. Also people in a public restroom will think your crazy.