Thursday, February 05, 2009

My library fines

Before I retired in 2000, I went to the business office to pay my library fine--$12.00. I don't remember how I got it because there's no penalty until it gets to $50, or at least that was then. I was a library manager, so I could have used my password and deleted it, but I didn't. I forget who was out of the office, but I was told to not worry about it. So everytime I checked something out for the last 8 years, I was reminded I had a $12 fine. Then last week I forgot to renew an Ohiolink book, and $4 was added. Now my fine is $16. I have a book about the Apostle Paul waiting to be picked up at Ackerman Road (location of all the offices while the Main Library on campus is being "revitalized.")

Barack Obama had nearly $375 in parking tickets from his Harvard days almost 20 years in arrears, and he didn't pay them until he decided to run for president in 2007. His staff said it was nothing. Another one of those, "everybody does it," I suppose. Look at me. A librarian with a $12 fine going unpaid for 8 years. The woman he decided to crack down on for being less than $1,000 behind in her taxes, Nancy Killefer who had paid it long before he tried to appoint her, had to meet a different standard than either the President or the Head of Treasury, Timothy Geithner, who wasn't just forgetful, but an out and out cheat and crook. After he was caught the first time, he paid his taxes and penalties, then did it again and was trying to outrun the statute of limitations, which apparently I don't have on my library fine, or Obama on his parking tickets. But then, Geithner is the only genius in all the Federal Reserve System or among all the lobbyists from the Clinton era, or all the guys to choose from the Congress, who can save us. Never mind he headed the powerful NY Fed and noticed nothing coming that even hinted at a sub-prime meltdown, just like the SEC whiz kids who thought Madoff was too big to fail.

But I better pay my fine. Obama might just call on me to be the official blogger of the opposition.

No comments: